Sunday 1 February 2015

Movies and fashion and bears

Yesterday was a fairly quiet day at home. Tony was at work (on a Saturday) and Caitlin had a friend over who had stayed the night on Friday. The girls were up talking quite late, so had a bit of a sleep in, and woke up in good moods. Once they were awake LiAM put Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare on - he hadn't played it in a over a week and was very keen to have another go, and the girls were sleeping in the lounge room so he waited fairly patiently for them to be up. As always he had an audience for much of his playing - either me or one or more of the girls. It's an entertaining game to watch, and he is learning so much about the strategy of the game as he plays, and is levelling up fairly quickly.

After a while the bigger kids went outside to play on the swings. Millie and I played a game of Snap using Donkey cards, and then Go Fish with the same cards - it was a hilarious game, as Millie kept changing the rules to make sure she got the cards she wanted, and the rules would then change back to what they were, and then something different, and she was so matter of fact and sweet about it - it was a lot of fun. I love how she is exploring patterns and boundaries and language in all the games she plays.

After Caitlin's friend left the kids played Minecraft on the computer for a while. LiAM is naming a lot of his equipment and I've been helping him with the spelling - he's starting to have a go at some of the names himself, and he can read the names of things he finds when they are familiar items. It's very exciting watching that skill develop.

Caitlin and I did some fashion designing, using a book of clothes outlines she got for christmas. It was fun, each starting with the same outline and designing different patterns and colourings.

I put on a CD of 80s music that I'd borrowed from the library, and listening to 'Flashdance: What a Feeling' reminded me that I'd borrowed that movie for Caitlin to watch. It was in a double pack with the original Footloose, and she'd seen the remade Footloose at a friend's party last year, so she decided to watch that (she didn't really like the remake). I watched it with her, mainly curled up on the couch together so she could hide under my arm for any of the violent scenes. I'd forgotten how many songs I knew of the soundtrack, and even though I remembered little of the movie I very much enjoyed watching it again. Cat enjoyed it too. Millie had been playing Minecraft in my room and LiAM watching YouTube videos in his room, then Millie joined us on the couch and went to sleep in my lap. Once she woke up the girls and I watched another Barbie movie (we'd watched Swan Lake the day before) - Barbie and the Pink Shoes, which referenced several ballets and had me googling lots of information about the ones I didn't know (Giselle and the Snow Queen).

Millie took the computer back to my room to rewatch Barbie and Swan Lake, and Caitlin started to watch the first Barbie and the Mermaid's Tale. Tony arrived home from work, with one of the Vintage workers who had arrived from Argentina in the morning. We had a BBQ dinner and watched some of the Australian Open Women's Final and then the Final of the Asian Cup (soccer) - an exciting game which Australia won in the end! The girls and I watched the 2nd Barbie Mermaid movie in my room while LiAM watched more YouTube videos in between watching bits of the movie with us. I took Tony's friend home after the soccer then Tony read books to Millie until she was ready to go to sleep (a bit later than usual thanks to her afternoon nap). We gave her the Nick Bland bear books as a starting school present on Friday, and we've read them countless times already - she loves them. And she knows them off by heart and will correct any error in the reading, even very tiny words. She is so involved in the pictures and the stories - and they are fun books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment